Good Morning FENWICK Community!
The pool is opening soon - 1st day is Saturday, May 28th. We are looking forward to a fun and safe swim season this summer and are already being asked about the 2-guest limit. We understand you may have family and close friends who visit - or have more than 2 grandkids, etc. who don't live in Fenwick but want to swim with you!
Are we strictly enforcing the 2-guest per household limit? We are definitely flexible when safely possible. We have to handle it on a case-by-case basis. It depends on things like:
- ages of the children
- # of adults in party
- is the pool busy?
- # of lifeguards on site at the time of your visit
- # of total kids from your household + total # of guest kids in your group
We are here to help you have fun safely so if you want to bring 3 kids as guests (in addition to your own kids) instead of 2 it depends on a number of factors like the ones mentioned above. It's important that we consider the # of young children you are already supervising from your household, how busy the pool is, # of lifeguards on duty at the time, etc.
- SCENARIO 1: if you have 5 school-aged children all under 12 in your household (yes, we have some very large wonderful families in Fenwick!) and 1 adult supervising them you would be strictly limited to the 2-guest rule if your guests were also both under 12 (even if the 'guests' are Fenwick children not of your household). You could remedy that by bringing another adult to help the ratio - but only if the pool is not too busy at the time of your visit.
- SCENARIO 2: you want to bring your 2 kids, your sister-in-law and her 3 kids. That's 4 guests but you've helped the ratio b/c one of your guests is an adult. Still, that's a lot of outside guests if the pool is busy. For this scenario, please consider visiting the pool during off-peak hours, e.g., when it first opens at 11:00 Tues-Sat or Noon on Sunday. Lifeguards can tell if patron traffic is starting to pick up so please understand you may be allowed access with extra guests one time but another time may not work out. Peak times change throughout the season and over limit admittance is up to the Lifeguard's judgment.
- SCENARIO 3: you have no kids at home but want to bring your 4 grandchildren who do not live in Fenwick and are ages 2, 7, 9, and 10. The adult-to-child ratio for toddlers is 1-to-1. If you bring the 2 year old you must also bring another adult to help supervise the other 3 who are under 12 and since you are bringing 4 outside guests. If you do have 2 adults in your party, your visit should then still be only when the pool is not too busy or if busy is double-staffed (2 lifeguards on post in addition to the one at the gate).
Here are the National Health & Safety ratios for swimming:
- Toddlers and infants: 1 to 1 (one adult to each child in the pool within arm's length)
- Pre-Schoolers: 4 to 1 (1 adult can supervise up to 4 kids
- School age: 6 to 1 (1 adult can supervise up to 6 kids)
We consider MANY factors (staff ratio, group size, minimum age and many other rationale that are not listed here) and ask our Lifeguards to do the same. As you can see, it can be very complex so when in doubt (or if our Lifeguards turn you away) text or call CCMS with your special situation. We can assist in evaluating your situation based on the pre-established ratios and current conditions at the pool at the time of your visit.
Your Fenwick HOA Board of Directors and CCMS thank you for helping us keep your pool season enjoyable AND most importantly, accident free! Questions? E-mail or call us!
CCMS Office: 405 285-6907
Carl & Debi Franklin, CCMS
Community Care Management Services
Access Control License #A13175
Debi Cell: 405 410-4048
Carl Cell: 405 408-6611